Given that the Department of Justice estimates that there are 1.03 million home invasions that take place each year, there is all the more reason as to why you would want to take extra measures to better protect your loved ones. You can check out some of these expert tips and make sure that your loved one is safe and sound by implementing some of them. You just need to be vigilant and ensure that you do not park valuable objects right in the house or within easy reach of your windows. Without much further ado, here are a few important expert tips that you need to implement at the earliest.
- Spare keys: One of the things that you are more likely to do is to hide the spare key under a plant or a rock statue in the garden. Well, it may surprise you to know that most burglars are already aware of these places as the preferred choice, and would naturally make a beeline for the same. A better idea would be to ask a close friend or relative to hold on to that spare key, as it provides you with more security. You can also Google “home alarm systems NZ’ and get a few installed in your residence for good measure.
- Advertise your security: your main motive here is not to nab the robbers but to make them aware that you are indeed well protected and that they should not bother. You can advertise the fact that your home is well protected with the help of decals, flyers and the rest. You can even get a flyer printed out, claiming that your home is covered by CCTV cameras in and around Auckland. This should take care of the issue, for the moment.
- Reinforce the basics: Remember the basics when you were growing up? Well, it is time to reinforce the same- always remember to close every door behind you. Make sure that all the doors and windows are carefully bolted up and the alarm activated, before you turn in for the night. Do not give burglars any ‘open’ opportunity and instead, seek to prevent ingress to your home.
- Front door: Most burglars try out the front door; first they would ring the doorbell to see if there is anyone else on the other side of the door. If someone rings your doorbell, but you do not recognize them, tell them to go away. On the other hand, if the burglars find that no one is home, then they may try to break in and this is why you need to ensure that your front door comes with a deadbolt
- Store your valuables safely: If you do happen to have quite a few valuables at home, then it may be time for you to build a strong safe, for the same and park it on the floor or within the wall. There are various safes that you can opt for and you can choose the safest. Once you have picked out the safe, you can store all your valuable items in the same safe, and secure the same safely. You can also store the really important ones at your bank as well. The point being that when the robbers break in, they are not going to be able to locate much of anything valuable at your home, and since that defeats their main purpose, they are as likely to go elsewhere in quest of fresh pickings.
These are some of the expert tips that you can implement right away and in the process, prevent a home invasion or two. It is important that you say calm and collected at all times so as to overcome the threat of burglary. And try not to lose your temper at any stage of the process as it can be counter-productive.