One of the things I looked forward to when I got married was cooking for my family. I love making food for others. It is fun to make people smile while filling their belly’s. I enjoy trying out new recipes and finding new favorites.
“I participated in an Influencer Activation Program on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Beef Checkoff. I received products to facilitate this review and a promotional item to thank me for participating.”
Now that my family is growing it is important to me to find meals that are affordable, tasty, and can be made quick and easily. Beef is an ingredient that can do just that! Beef tastes great, can easily be found fresh in stores, cooks up fast, and is pretty affordable. Beef allows you to go fancy with a great cut of steak and more kid friendly with ground beef. It is very versatile.
On my last trip to the store I picked up some good looking red meat and all the ingredients needed to create a delicious dinner. I chose one of my favorite beef recipes that is tasty, family friendly, and super quick to make. Remember a little while ago when I reviewed the Favorite Family Recipes cookbook? Well, since then, this has been my go-to cookbook. I use it all the time. I chose their Mexican Lasagna recipe. You can find this recipe and more on their website and in their book. (Get the book! It is awesome!)
Favorite Family Recipes’ Mexican Lasagna
- 1 Lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce 24-26 oz.
- 16 oz. Cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ lb. Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ lb. cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 package flour tortilla shells
- Brown hamburger and onion in a pan and drain well. Combine with the spaghetti sauce. In large bowl combine beaten egg, and all the cheeses. Save a little of the Mozzarella and cheddar for the topping.
- Put a layer of the tortilla shells in a 9×13 pan. Tear them to fill in all the spaces. Then add a layer of sauce and a layer of cheese. Repeat several times ending with the sauce and a topping of the grated cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve hot. On your individual plates top with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and chopped olives as desired.
This is always a big hit with my family. When I served this I fed my father, mother, husband, son, and myself and we only got half way through the pan! It fills your right up! The leftovers heat up wonderfully too! Once, I made this at the cabin. 2 pans fed 22 people…men, women, and children. The kids went crazy over this and were coming back for seconds. One of my nieces even said, “This is the best food I have ever eaten.” 🙂 This is a great beef recipe that your family is sure to love!
Beef contains 10 essential nutrients like protein, iron, phosphorus, calcium, and zinc. Zinc will boost your immune system. Phosphorus and calcium help build strong bones and teeth. Iron helps supply oxygen to the blood. Protein is great for building muscles. All of these benefits can be found in beef! Plus a 3 oz. serving of beef is only about 150 calories and fewer than 4.5 grams of fat!
BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com is a great go-to resource for cooking tip and nutritious recipes. “Try savory beef fajitas with pico de gallo, grilled Ribeye steaks and potatoes with smoky paprika rub, a sweet and tangy sloppy joe or the backyard crowd-pleaser, the maple-bacon beer cheeseburger.”